Sustainability & Social Engagement at Pullman Dresden Newa
How We Accelerate Sustainability
Sustainability. For us, it means more than just a corporate goal. More than just a continuous improvement process.
Let’s dive into tangible evidence that, for us, this word represents a personal mindset. And that we nurture the ideas of Pullmen and -women who are equally passionate about it:
Our Declaration of Love to the Planet:
Digital guest folder
instead of piles of paper. All information at a click – even room service.
Marketplace and room service robots
Instead of a minibar, we have consciously chosen to place the latter only in selected room categories. This way, we reduce 152kg of CO2 per room per year!
vegan filled instead of disposable plastic bottles.
Too good to go
Leftover buffet delights can be picked up at a discounted price through the app.
Cosel and August are raising their babies in the nesting box directly above our heads. With the view from Dresden’s tallest hotel, we can understand why they don’t want to leave there anymore…
Annual spring cleaning
around the hotel by our team.
as a booking option for all guests who also want to make a difference.
We have the environment in mind for all our events. Special about this conference package? For example, the pastries are from a local bakery, all meals are available as vegan or vegetarian options, vegan notepads made from grass paper by the Dresden company matabooks, and we calculate the event’s CO2 footprint.
thanks to an electric charging station, energy- and water-saving devices, electricity from renewable sources, and dimmed lighting on the floors during the summer.
Cycling or jogging tour
plus sightseeing? With our Running Concierge, you don’t just jog through the Grand Garden, but discover Dresden from entirely new perspectives. Our tip for our bicycle rental: Our chef’s well-stocked picnic basket ensures an even more enjoyable tour!
Sustainability is no longer just about how we handle our products, but about how we treat ourselves and others. Therefore, it should no longer be a separate component, but rather an integral part of our actions. One that naturally permeates everything we do.
Once you start, there’s no stopping. I catch myself thinking about sustainability every day – and even enjoying it.
That wasn’t the case a few years ago. Don’t be afraid of not getting everything right. Now I know: Sustainability means starting. It means seeking solutions. And it’s not from the top down, but as a team. To continue to grow within this team and in the areas that matter to us.
Gold medal for our sustainability program
We’ve already earned the Gold Medal of our sustainability program Planet 21 with our actions… and we’re in the midst of working towards the next level, Platinum!
Speaking of awards: Not only were we Dresden’s first Certified Green Hotel, but in mid-2023, we underwent a thorough audit and once again proved ourselves in all examinations – and increased our score by a whopping 162 points.
Green Hotel Pullman seal of approval
This matter of the heart has grown so much within us that, in addition to our Sustainability Manager, our sustainability team now has its own email address from which we are happy to answer your questions:
Make a Green Choice
And you can pitch in too: Make a Green Choice
…and for the environment’s sake, don’t have your room cleaned every day. As a thank you, your next drink is on us!
Rowing against cancer
rowing against cancer.
being long-standing partner of the Hope Gala.
Deaf sports festival
sponsoring the deaf sports festival.
showing children through a sticker of the campaign Bärenstarker August at the entrance: “You can always get help here”.
Children in emergency situations
having a trained eye on children in emergency situations through our program WATCH = We Act Together For CHildren.
finding changing tables exclusively in the women’s restrooms so 2022 and making them accessible to everyone traveling with a baby.
being diligent little elves by providing children in Eastern Europe with beautifully wrapped gifts for Christmas.
It wouldn’t be possible without them. That’s why we always have something in store for them:
DVB-Jobticket – so we can get to work and back home safely every day.
Our ideas box is regularly fed by our Pullmen and -women.
The green pinboard on the way to our cafeteria keeps us up-to-date with the Fact of the Week.
At our place, health management ranges from health breakfasts and courses to surveys with the local health insurance company and one-on-one appointments with our company doctor. Also, the mobile back diagnostics pays us a visit once a year.
New workwear, after the previous one was in use for 23 years! The manufacturing process? From fiber to finished product, fully disclosed, including the Fair Wear program to enforce human and labor rights in global supply chains. The manufacturers also work to avoid waste, continuously minimize their CO2 footprint, and incorporate creative ideas such as yarn made from ocean plastic.
Top training company
Top training company – certified by an independent testing institute, chosen by our apprentices themselves.
Opportunities for many student interns who dive into the world of hospitality with us – and occasionally return as apprentices and permanent employees.
Sir James, our service robot, assists our team.
With these 19 letters, we embrace diversity for our Pullmen and -women and the entire hotel. We are as proud as the Pride Flag that 🏳️🌈
- our hotel is LGBTQIA+ certified, and our employees can be whoever they want to be. We proudly display this at the hotel entrance!
- many of our employees have been with us for up to 45 years!
- people of all age groups play the role of hosts here, from 16 to 65 years old…
- when you visit our hotel, you’ll encounter not only guests from around the world but also our hosts from 12 different nations!
- we are BGN-awarded. What does that mean? Health and safety, ongoing education, and training at our hotel go beyond legal requirements.
- we regularly reevaluate ourselves and our principles through training sessions.
- we have an anti-discrimination concept in place to combat discrimination. The Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility Charter of our hotel chain, Accor, is as lengthy as its title, but thanks to the training, it becomes part of our hotel staff’s ethos.
- we do not engage with customers and suppliers who do not adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Sustainability to smell and taste
…at Le Boulevard:
- Our chef spices up the international cuisine with seasonal highlights, merging with regional Saxon dishes on your plate.
- Starting now, you’ll find even more vegetarian and vegan options at breakfast!
- This includes eggs from free-range instead of caged hens. It’s still not perfect because, despite the label, hens in this type of housing don’t have much free space. That’s why we’re gradually making more improvements.
- If you prefer fish, it’s ASC-certified here.
- You’ll only taste certified fair-trade coffee and tea with us. And in the rooms, you can enjoy organic coffee capsules made from renewable resources, CO2-neutral, and fully compostable.
- Single-use plastic packaging? Farewell.
- To avoid overproduction in Le Boulevard, our chef has developed a special concept – so more ends up in your stomach and less in the trash!
- Separate bins for recycling in the rooms
- More environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Water station with reusable bottles for all guests and staff
- External consulting in areas where we’re not so knowledgeable
As you can see:
Living green is incredibly diverse and is not just about the environment or people. Sustainability means diversity – it doesn’t start here and end there. That’s how we understand it at Pullman.
It doesn’t mean that we get everything right from the beginning. For our rather traditional industry, it’s a process that is far from being as established as in others. The hospitality sector has a long way to go. And we are right in the midst of it…